Cloverleaf Historic Rally
A qualifying event for The
Richard Egger Insurance
HRCR Clubmans Rally Championship
Cloverleaf Clubmans Rally
Sclerosis Society (Registered Charity 207495)
Geoffrey Twigg / Mick Briggs
- Last year West Essex Car Club successfully revived the
classic ‘70s Cloverleaf name with two modern day events rolled
into one and for 2008 it will continue with this popular
- The main event – the Cloverleaf Historic Rally – is for
pre-1982 cars, and is a round of the Richard Eggers Insurance
HRCR Clubmans Rally Championship.
The Cloverleaf Clubmans
Rally is for standard cars and crews without competition
- This 150 mile event will be based in the Cambridge area,
which has easy access from all parts of the UK. This year we are
avoiding the holiday period and running on a Saturday to better
accommodate those crews who couldn’t take part in 2007.
- We will be using the quietest and most interesting lanes of
Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Suffolk and Essex to provide
around six public road regularities totalling over 100 miles.
- The special tests at two MOD airfields will be on smooth
concrete and will comprise a balanced mixture of fast and tight
courses to cater for all types of vehicle.
- The airfields will also host two private road regularities.
- The Rally HQ and start/finish will be the spacious
Grange Golf and Country Club which has parking room for
crews bringing trailers. You’ll be able to buy a good value
breakfast there before you start, and we’ll be funding your
evening meal at the finish.
- There will be mid-morning and mid-afternoon P & T halts this
year for breaks during a busy day.
- We are retaining the popular novelty of a driver-only and
navigator-only regularity – although these will only contribute
marginally to the overall results.
- The Results Team have drafted in additional resources so you
should be on your way home by 7:30 pm …
- … possibly with one of the many shiny awards which will be
- The Cloverleaf rallies are masterminded by Ray Crowther –
winner of the 2006 HRCR Clubmans Championship – and supported by
a dedicated team of Cloverleaf “oldies”, who understand what is
required to satisfy competitors.
- Clear marked map navigation for most of the route plus a few
simple navigational sections to satisfy those who thought the
route-following was too easy last year.
- Most of the documentation will be in a bound Road Book this
- We will continue our dislike of codeboards on regularities
so that you can concentrate on maintaining the average speeds
without having to be constantly vigilant for letters and
- And if you get baulked on the public road you’ll be able to
drop your worst two regularity scores.
- We will again be raising funds for the Multiple Sclerosis
Society during the event and hoping to beat our total of over
£1,300 last year.
- In 2007 we achieved a perfect balance of test and regularity
penalties to reflect driver and navigator abilities, which
resulted in a closely fought event.
2008 will be no
- Current Entry List
- On-line Entry Form
- Advise Entry Changes
- View Entry Details
- Confirm Entry (Administrator)
- Amend Entry Details